Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Chevrolet Avalanche

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Black Diamond Anniversary Edition

Yesterday it was freezing and light drizzle brought on by Hurricane Sandy had graced us with her presence. I had seen this Avalanche on our lot in the early morning, and when I got some time I was going to come take it for a spin. Around 1 pm my boss comes in and asks me to drive the Avalanche to our Dixie Highway store (the opposite end of town), which is pretty much the best thing that's happened to me all day. As I approach the vehicle I can't help but drool over how gorgeous this truck really is. The lines are incredible, the styling is bold, the chrome is reflecting off the black exterior paint job perfectly. The inside is cavernous and simply stunning. Everything looks great so far. I pull out of the lot and head for I-64. The majority of this test drive takes place on I-64, with a little bit of Dixie Highway time (Nothing but traffic). Right off the bat I feel comfortable. The visibility is good, with the exception of the C-Pillar, and I really like what I'm seeing. Looks wise these trucks are awesome, but as we all know already, looks aren't everything. The whole test drive I felt like I was fighting the steering wheel, it almost needed constant attention. Once I got up to 70 mph, the truck drove and rode like a Cadillac. But seriously how much time to you spend going 70 mph. You pretty much have to smash the accelerator, to get any loving from the engine, and the brakes have to be ppressed with real determination, in order to stop. I don't usually knock vehicles on this blog, but I was terribly dissappointed. Sure she's sexy, but she's really expensive, and she's not all that you would expect from a $40,000 plus truck. Instead of ranting and bashing this truck, I'll say that the real suprise of the day came when I dropped the Avalanche off. They put me in a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ. Now the Traverse is all that and a bag of chips! The Traverse had eye catching lines, tons of room, but not bulky, and a super smooth ride. The Traverse was loaded with Rearview Cameras, Dual Moonroof, and a Premium stereo system. The Traverse literally stole the show. It's a good looking suv and perfect for a growing family. The conditions were wet and the roadways were flooded with driver's who can't drive in the rain, but this Traverese steeped up and delivered! One of my new favorite suv's is definitley the Traverse. We sold the unit I demoed, but I will sit down when I can and write a true review of the Traverse, because it's well worth it. I don't want to sound mean, but the Avalanche kind of sucks. I'd much rather have a F-150 or even a Silverado. The Avalanche is like having a super hot girlfriend, but when she opens her mouth, she runs evryone off. So to end this little tale I'll leave you with this: If you want to drive a truck that looks good but doesn't behave, this might be the truck for you. Super disappointed in the Avalanche, but very impressed with Chevy's Traverse. Can't win em all, I guess! Thanks for your time and we appreciate you taking the time to read our blog!

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/avalanche/2008/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/chevrolet/avalanche/specifications/

Video of 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eviRbaayk2A


Engine & Performance
  • Base engine size: 5.3 L
  • Cam type: Overhead valves (OHV)
  • Cylinders: V8
  • Valves: 16
  • Torque: 340 ft-lbs. @ 4200 rpm
  • Horsepower: 320 hp @ 5200 rpm
  • Turning circle: 43.0 ft.
  • Base engine type: gas
DriveTrain
  • Drive type: rear wheel drive
  • Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Suspension
  • Short and long arm front suspension
  • Multi-link rear suspension
  • Front independent suspension
  • Front and rear stabilizer bar
Fuel
  • Fuel type: gas
  • Fuel type: regular unleaded
  • Fuel tank capacity: 31.0 gal.
  • Range in miles (cty/hwy): 434.0/620.0 mi.
  • EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy): 14/20 mpg



1 comment: